In Portugal, Teixeira Duarte – Engenharia e Construções, S.A., in compliance with the SA 8000 Standard, promotes respect for labour rights and safe and healthy working environments for all workers, and among suppliers and contractors, by demanding compliance with social responsibility requirements, with an emphasis on the following:
- Not using or supporting the use of child labour, or forced or compulsory labour;
- Providing a safe and healthy environment for doing work;
- Not hindering freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining;
- Not engaging in or supporting discriminatory acts in any form;
- Not practising or supporting the harsh or inhuman disciplinary practices;
- Acting in compliance with applicable laws and standards of the respective area of activity, in matters relating to working hours;
- Remuneration considered adequate for the work effectively performed, always with respect for legal stipulations.
Based on the geographical area in which the supplier operates, the type of activity it carries out and the Company’s ability to influence it, the potential social risk of suppliers is assessed in relation to the expected risk, and the cases of greatest risk are monitored.
In the particular case of subcontractors, Teixeira Duarte – Engenharia e Construções, S.A. has put specific mandatory occupational health, safety and hygiene contractual provisions in place, in addition to legal provisions, including workplace accident insurance, personal protective equipment, accident rate analyses, training and information, among other provisions.